when i ended up being walking the campus to take some images, I was overwhelmed by the vitality for the campus. Sometimes we forget that I work at a university campus filled with dreamers, innovators, and future leaders that are global. I found myself simply using it all in while smiling at students and parents I have never met before. ( It may have already been just a little weird, but hey, I became caught in a moment). Suddenly, I desired to travel back in its history, get back to college and experience this all over again!
Yesterday early morning, I saw the look of excitement and awe on the faces of first-year students as they certainly were entering their dorms for the time that is first. Subsequently, I sensed a great amount of pride and a little bit of hesitation from parents while they struggled to let their kids go. It is obvious that this brief moment is just a milestone in every of their lives. Students look ahead to their next four years at USC and wonder at all the opportunities it could bring, while parents feel a feeling of accomplishment since they were somewhat responsible so you can get their kids to college. With all of these feelings swirling on campus, I can realise why there have been therefore hugs that are many around.
through the welcome convocation today, speakers endured in front side of this incoming class of 2017 and provided advice on how to make the most of their own time only at USC. I’d like to reiterate what Professor Harkness, from the Dornsife university, stated during her speech: be there. It’s not as easy in your own life as it sounds but you will be a better human being the sooner you can practice it. To the new incoming freshmen at USC and current high school students; I challenge you to be present. Show up in your classes. Show up in your conversations. Be present as you research your options. Be present when you’re meeting people that are new. Be present when you write your statements that are personal. Be present when you study for the AP/IB tests. Be present when the royal palace las vegas tests are taken by you. Show up whenever you ask her/him down. Be contained in conflict. Be contained in new challenges. Be present in all of your experiences that are new adventures. Take it all in. Be present!
Hey Parents! Listen Up!
Parents play an important role in the entire college procedure. Frequently times, parents help subsidize some, if not all, of attending an university or college, and tend to be always there to ask those specific ‘parent’ questions you need to ask the tour guide when the last meningitis outbreak was? that you as students can’t be bothered with (really mom, did)
Nevertheless, there are instances where moms and dads must take a seat that is back allow their sons and daughters to inquire of the hard concerns. Right Here, we have a compiled an inventory of ‘dos and donts’ about parenting throughout the college search and application process:
• Do assist your son or daughter understand what they are searching for in a college, reminding them to consider location, size, academic programs, cost/financial aid, etc. Finding a good fit for your certain wants and requirements is more important than the cachet of the name.
• do not gather most of the information for them! Enable them to contact admission counselors and discover the information that is relevant themselves. After all, they’ll somewhere be in college quickly enough, which is important they learn to navigate the process themselves.
• Do encourage your sons and daughters to check out university campuses, and have them on those trips! The easiest way to get acquainted with an university or college would be to make the trip to campus.
• Don’t check your sons and daughters in for campus trips, interviews, receptions, etc. Let them take action! This shows us that they are mature and independent.
• Do remind your sons and daughters that not receiving in to their first choice school might seem such as the end associated with world at that minute, but that things work out and that they can be successful wherever they go provided that they work hard. And, encourage them to transfer if that institution remains towards the top of their list even with enrolling somewhere else.
• Don’t fill down their applications for them! We are able to tell also it reflects poorly on the applicant. We know that these are teenagers using and expect their applications to share their true vocals and style.
So the moral is: find a stability. Realize that your child is about to attempt a life-changing journey and that starting to take ownership of the college application procedure is a good jumping off point. But, also rest assured if they involve where to send the care package that we are here to answer those tough ‘parent’ questions, even.